From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] syslog-ng
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 02:18:36
1 On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 23 November 2004 09:38, Ed Grimm wrote:
4 >> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Konstantin V. Gavrilenko wrote:
5 >>> Guys,
6 >>>
7 >>> just thought I should mention this.
8 >>>
9 >>> if you setup a syslog-ng server that binds to an interface and listens
10 >>> to collect incoming logs, at the next reboot it will fail to do so. I
11 >>> believe this issue is due to the order of execution of the init.d
12 >>> initialization scripts, since syslog-ng is started before the net.ethX
13 >>> scripts are executed. The exim would not start following the failure
14 >>> of the syslog-ng.
15 >>
16 >> My experience is, this is actually unpredictable - net.ethX does not
17 >> provide 'net', and so whether syslog-ng (or, for that matter, any other
18 >> syslog service) starts up before or after the network is established is
19 >> anyone's guess. Given the total number of places it can start up on a
20 >> typical system, I would guess that it probably usually starts after the
21 >> network has initialized.
22 >
23 > Syslog-ng should, like iptables, bind to an interface even if it is not up.
24 > There are reasons to start the logger as soon as possible. Alternatively you
25 > could signal syslog-ng to reload itself again just before exim loads.
26
27 Well, that's just great. Just after I thought I knew *exactly* what was
28 going on, I managed to get a boot order that worked, that I thought
29 wouldn't work. Syslog-ng started, followed by iptables, followed by
30 net. Apparently, what was preventing syslog-ng from starting was not
31 the absence of net. I'm going to investigate this one further.
32
33 On the bright side, I have iptables starting reliably before net. So
34 half of my problem appears to be solved.
35
36 (For reference, I've had about 6 boots where syslog-ng failed, starting
37 before net, and no failures where syslog-ng started fine, starting after
38 net (around 10-15 boots). One boot where syslog-ng succeeded, starting
39 before net. Syslog-ng last updated before I noticed the problem in the
40 first place.)
41
42 Ed
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list