From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why DEPEND and RDEPEND
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:58:29
1 On 05/13/04 Joel Martin wrote:
2
3 > > post depend ... provide a way to semi-handle circular dependencies
4 > > and/or to have portage update another package *after* the current
5 > > package has been updated.
6 >
7 > I have a question from a practical case. What about the case where
8 > a package should be re-merged afterwards, but only if it's already
9 > installed.
10 >
11 > For example, in the case of indeview, which is an export filter for
12 > openoffice, it modifies some openoffice data files.
13 >
14 > indeview doesn't require openoffice (because it also works for
15 > koffice), but if openoffice is installed, or re-installed, indeview
16 > needs to be re-installed also in order to update the data files. Is
17 > there a correct way to do this. I don't think PDEPEND is quite the
18 > right answer, because then everyone who installs openoffice will get
19 > indeview, which isn't the correct action.
20
21 AFAIK that's a feature for the new dependency checker noone (including
22 portage developers) has seen yet, so it's not possible at the moment.
23 And don't think about using has_version() to redefine PDEPEND, that's
24 invalid as it will break the cache and generate bug reports.
25
26 Marius
31 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
32 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.