From: Joel Martin <kanaka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why DEPEND and RDEPEND
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:00:13
1 > post depend ... provide a way to semi-handle circular dependencies and/or to
2 > have portage update another package *after* the current package has been
3 > updated.
4
5 I have a question from a practical case. What about the case where
6 a package should be re-merged afterwards, but only if it's already
7 installed.
8
9 For example, in the case of indeview, which is an export filter for
10 openoffice, it modifies some openoffice data files.
11
12 indeview doesn't require openoffice (because it also works for koffice),
13 but if openoffice is installed, or re-installed, indeview needs to be
14 re-installed also in order to update the data files. Is there a correct
15 way to do this. I don't think PDEPEND is quite the right answer, because
16 then everyone who installs openoffice will get indeview, which isn't the
17 correct action.
18
19 Joel Martin - kanaka