From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for enhancement to PMS/EAPI7+
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 06:43:27
1 On Wed, 18 May 2016 04:07:07 +0100
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > I've just been party to a discussion over in the Proxy Maintainers
5 > channel .. and the subject of correct ways to install documentation
6 > popped up. It seems to me rather quirky, that there is no middle ground
7 > in (for example) EAPI6 to have the default documentation installed per
8 > https://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/head/pms.html#x1-144003r4 , PLUS maybe
9 > another folder or file(s). The existing framework ONLY allows *either*
10 > /only/ the default documentation *or* an override through the DOCS=
11 > variable.
12 >
13 > My idea thus, was inspired by the simple bash DOCS+= ( ) statement, that
14 > would allow you to append files/folders to the installdocs list,
15 > assuming that DOCS was pre-populated with an existing set of files.
16 > Obviously the status quo is set for EAPI6 and algorithms defined, but
17 > wondered if it could be considered for a future update/improvement cycle?!
18
19 How is this going to work? In order to pre-populate it, you need to
20 know the list of files. And the list of files isn't known until
21 src_install(). In fact, with the current behavior it's not even known
22 before einstalldocs is actually called, and changing that could break
23 stuff.
26 Best regards,
27 Michał Górny
28 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>