From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: Gregg <gregg@××.am>
Cc: gentoo-dev@×××××××.com, gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Upgrade, course of action.
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 01:42:02
1 Gregg <gregg@××.am>, on Sat Aug 24, 2002 [12:24:53 AM] said:
2 > Everyone keeps telling me how brave I am. I have to say, it doesnt seem
3 > that way to me. Ive got a second drive (exact mirror of the first, same
4 > size) rsyncing every night (over to another server). That is my current
5 > backup solution. I havent had to go to it once. Since I set this up as a
6 > server and started getting these users I havent had a single outage that
7 > wasnt a problem with power (we had 2 real bad storms over the last month
8 > that took out power for 5 hours each, my UPS only does 3 hours tops for
9 > the 3 systems it runs.) Other than that, it has run flawless, and you
10 > want brave. emerge -up world shows nothing right now. It is as up to
11 > date as possible without gcc 3.2. Not a single problem.
12 >
13 > Gregg
14 >
15 Hi Gregg;
16
17 There is a cliche 'fools rush in where angels fear to
18 tread.'
19 If you 'emerge -u world' tommorow, and critical systems
20 suddenly fail due to any number of reasons, including your
21 CFLAGS settings, or USE variables, or just a bad ebuild, then
22 what? A brave person sees this and goes ahead anyway. 'It has
23 worked good so far, so it must be safe' isnt quite the same
24 thing.
25 Gentoo cannot make claims thus far about the kind of
26 reliability you seem to expect. If it doesnt deliver, please
27 dont malign it...
28
29 Paul
30 set@×××××.com