From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GTK USE flag situation (gtk, gtk2, gtk3; relevant to bug #420493)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 08:11:34
1 Le mardi 11 février 2014 à 19:33 -0500, Chris Reffett a écrit :
2 > This doesn't make sense to me at all. I can't see why slotted
3 > libraries can't just use USE flags to specify what toolkit they're
4 > built against, just like any other package in the tree (so, for
5 > example, a package that needs webkit-gtk built against gtk3 would
6 > depend on webkit-gtk[gtk3] instead of webkit-gtk:3). I'm well aware
7 > that there could be limitations I'm unaware of (maybe the package only
8 > can build one at a time?), but this is how it looks to me. By
9 > switching to versioned gtk flags, this kills two birds with one stone:
10 > it makes it obvious to the end user which version they're trying to
11 > build their package against, and it gets rid of the need for (ab)using
12 > revision numbers to implement slots like that.
13
14 And here comes the "version abuse" troll again. This discussion was
15 settled months ago by exhaustion so please do not try to put some
16 gasoline on it.
17
18 Most packages we have been confronted to chose to only support gtk2 or
19 gtk3 and if in their history the supported gtk2 then gtk3, we need a
20 slot for that because it makes sense. See gnome-desktop, glade, gtkhtml,
21 at-spi, libgda, gucharmap, vte, etc.
22
23 For those packages that still support both actively, we still want slots
24 because most packages we have seen (webkit-gtk, gtk-vnc, spice and more
25 that since lost their gtk2 support) only allowed building against one
26 toolkit at a time.
29 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
30 Gentoo