From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: GTK USE flag situation (gtk, gtk2, gtk3; relevant to bug #420493)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:48:22
1 On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:10:31 +0100
2 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Le mardi 11 février 2014 à 19:33 -0500, Chris Reffett a écrit :
5 > > This doesn't make sense to me at all. I can't see why slotted
6 > > libraries can't just use USE flags to specify what toolkit they're
7 > > built against, just like any other package in the tree (so, for
8 > > example, a package that needs webkit-gtk built against gtk3 would
9 > > depend on webkit-gtk[gtk3] instead of webkit-gtk:3). I'm well aware
10 > > that there could be limitations I'm unaware of (maybe the package only
11 > > can build one at a time?), but this is how it looks to me. By
12 > > switching to versioned gtk flags, this kills two birds with one stone:
13 > > it makes it obvious to the end user which version they're trying to
14 > > build their package against, and it gets rid of the need for (ab)using
15 > > revision numbers to implement slots like that.
16 >
17 > And here comes the "version abuse" troll again. This discussion was
18 > settled months ago by exhaustion so please do not try to put some
19 > gasoline on it.
20
21 Using arbitrary revision numbers to make up for the fact that you can't
22 install multiple SLOTs of the same version of a package is a fucking
23 travesty.
27 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
28 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
29
30 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463