From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hwoarang@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: final version of git-r3 (+ compat for git-2)
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:37:33
1 Dnia 2013-09-03, o godz. 12:24:49
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 3 September 2013 12:17, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2013-09-03, o godz. 11:53:22
6 > > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> On 3 September 2013 11:45, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 > >> > Hello, all.
10 > >> >
11 > >> >
12 > >> > I'm attaching git-r3.eclass and a patch to git-2.eclass that adds
13 > >> > ability to use git-r3 internally via make.conf switch.
14 > >>
15 > >> I am a bit skeptical about this. Why would someone want to do this
16 > >> apart from testing the git-r3 eclass without touching
17 > >> the existing git-r2 compatible ebuilds? And why do you want to do that in
18 > >> the first place? If the maintainer is happy with how git-r2 works with
19 > >> his ebuilds
20 > >> I see no reason to allow users to silently override that eclass.
21 > >
22 > > The goal is to give git-r3 most testing it could get before it gets
23 > > widely used. I'd prefer catching corner cases sooner than later.
24 > >
25 > > --
26 > > Best regards,
27 > > Michał Górny
28 >
29 > Ok but I don't think allowing users to override eclasses like this is
30 > a good thing.
31 > Maintainers expect the existing ebuilds to work with git-r2. If they
32 > start getting bugs
33 > because a user silently overrode the eclass the this is not going to
34 > be pleasant.
35
36 It is not done silently. It comes with big fat warning at the top:
37
38 + ewarn "Using git-r3 backend in git-2. Not everything is supported."
39 + ewarn "Expect random failures and have fun testing."
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny