From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: final version of git-r3 (+ compat for git-2)
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:25:43
1 On 3 September 2013 12:17, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2013-09-03, o godz. 11:53:22
3 > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> On 3 September 2013 11:45, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >> > Hello, all.
7 >> >
8 >> >
9 >> > I'm attaching git-r3.eclass and a patch to git-2.eclass that adds
10 >> > ability to use git-r3 internally via make.conf switch.
11 >>
12 >> I am a bit skeptical about this. Why would someone want to do this
13 >> apart from testing the git-r3 eclass without touching
14 >> the existing git-r2 compatible ebuilds? And why do you want to do that in
15 >> the first place? If the maintainer is happy with how git-r2 works with
16 >> his ebuilds
17 >> I see no reason to allow users to silently override that eclass.
18 >
19 > The goal is to give git-r3 most testing it could get before it gets
20 > widely used. I'd prefer catching corner cases sooner than later.
21 >
22 > --
23 > Best regards,
24 > Michał Górny
25
26 Ok but I don't think allowing users to override eclasses like this is
27 a good thing.
28 Maintainers expect the existing ebuilds to work with git-r2. If they
29 start getting bugs
30 because a user silently overrode the eclass the this is not going to
31 be pleasant.
34 Regards,
35 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
36 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang