From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'build' install
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 11:26:33
1 On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 02:12:16PM +0200, Thorsten Fischer wrote:
2
3 > It might be part of a port system to hold copies of the source code needed to
4 > build libs, programs and so on, but it is certainly not neccessary to hold
5 > _two_ copies -- once as tarballs, once unpacked to the temp dir. And there is
6 > absolutely no need to keep over 400 megabytes of object files. Browsing
7 > through the portage.py script showed me an '--autoclean' option not mentioned
8 > in the installation doc. Does it work? How/where to use it?
9
10 The latest version of emerge will always do a clean *before* starting to build
11 a particular package; --autoclean will tell emerge to also clean up after
12 itself. We may set that as the default unless MAINTAINER is set in
13 /etc/make.conf, which would probably be the ideal behavior for everyone.
14
15 > (btw, call me a nit-picking, but doesn't portage.py belong into the
16 > site-packages subdir?)
17
18 I guess I've just never gotten into the habit of using the site-packages dir.
19 We can always relocate our modules there if I'm breaking either FHS or python
20 convention by placing them in /usr/lib/python2.0.
21
22 Best Regards,
25 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
26 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org