From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:37:01
1 Duncan wrote:
2 >>Number of users subscribed to gentoo-announce: 7,988
3 >>Total number of GETs on our home page and news feed in a *single day*: 75,302
4 >>from 19,240 different IPs (on Sunday 2005-10-30).
5 >
6 > I read announce very regularly (checking it several times a day, most
7 > days), but wouldn't show up in your announce stats. Why? Because I
8 > subscribe to gmane.org's gmane.linux.gentoo.announce newsgroup.
9
10 > Bottom line, then, announce has far more readers than the ones Gentoo
11 > tracks thru its subscription list. A wild guess, as it'd take some work
12 > to make it anything more than that, would put it on par with the
13 > gentoo.org front page. It may actually get more circulation than the
14 > front page. (That said, as others have posted, if more news gets posted
15 > to the front page, those unique IP counts will probably go up accordingly.
16 > LWN and others could easily grab from there, as well.)
17
18 Of course there are more readers than subscribed ones.
19 Far more, I doubt it, how many would that be?
20 As many as our front page and news feed, definitely not.
21
22 FYI, 81,054 different IPs have hit our front page or the news feed in just 5
23 days, and we're talking about a resource where hardly anything but the GWN and
24 the occasional GDP status is ever posted.
25 Anyway, it's not like we had to choose between them, it's a trivial thing to
26 post a news item to -announce.
29 / Xavier Neys
30 \_ Gentoo Documentation Project
31 / French & Internationalisation Lead