From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:39:20
1 Xavier Neys posted <436668AC.4070300@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:55:40 +0100:
3
4 > Number of users subscribed to gentoo-announce: 7,988
5 > Total number of GETs on our home page and news feed in a *single day*: 75,302
6 > from 19,240 different IPs (on Sunday 2005-10-30).
7
8 I read announce very regularly (checking it several times a day, most
9 days), but wouldn't show up in your announce stats. Why? Because I
10 subscribe to gmane.org's gmane.linux.gentoo.announce newsgroup.
11
12 When I subscribe to writable lists such as this one thru gmane, I also
13 subscribe to the main Gentoo list (and then put it on vacation or digest
14 mode so it's not spamming me all the time with stuff I already get thru
15 gmane). With lists that will be read-only, such as announce, in my case,
16 there's no need to subscribe to the Gentoo version, as I won't be posting
17 anything to gmane that has to be authorized with Gentoo to be able to
18 relay thru to the list.
19
20 Also note lwn.net. It carries GWN and all the GLSAs. I'm guessing they
21 track the GLSAs thru the announce list, tho I don't know that for sure.
22 If so, and the announce list starts carrying other stuff, it'll get posted
23 to LWN pretty quickly, as well. LWN's both valuable enough to me that I
24 pay real money to subscribe, and the way I learned enough about Gentoo to
25 check it out. It's also a decently recognized authority in the Linux
26 community. However, none of its hits will be tracked by Gentoo. Still,
27 if stuff is posted to the announce list, it'll quite likely be covered on
28 LWN as well.
29
30 Bottom line, then, announce has far more readers than the ones Gentoo
31 tracks thru its subscription list. A wild guess, as it'd take some work
32 to make it anything more than that, would put it on par with the
33 gentoo.org front page. It may actually get more circulation than the
34 front page. (That said, as others have posted, if more news gets posted
35 to the front page, those unique IP counts will probably go up accordingly.
36 LWN and others could easily grab from there, as well.)
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
42 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list