From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] chromium-54 needs ffmpeg-3.0.1
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 08:51:45
1 On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 00:01:16 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Alexis Ballier
7 > > <aballier@g.o> wrote:
8 > >> On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:28:48 +0200
9 > >> "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
10 > >>
11 > >>> D. Patch chromium not to require newer ffmpeg
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >> You can use the attached patch. Quick test on youtube showed it
15 > >> works.
16 > >
17 > > Nice! Testing this now.
18 >
19 > The code you have disabled seems to be comparing color space id values
20 > as defined in src/ui/gfx/color_space.h to the equivalent values in the
21 > ffmpeg API. I would assume this is because some chromium code uses
22 > them interchangeably.
23 >
24 > What happens if we pass one of those ids to an ffmpeg function that
25 > doesn't understand it? I'm afraid this might break in some subtle way.
26
27 Me too. Except that looking at the code I realized those values are
28 only read from ffmpeg, never written to, so this case cannot happen I
29 think.
30
31 Worse: ffmpeg usually parses it from the bitstream and passes it
32 straight from it since the numerical values are made to match e.g. the
33 ones from the hevc spec, so it should actually be transparent.