From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multilib amd64 news item for review
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:33:17
1 Dnia 2015-03-15, o godz. 15:43:56
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > >>>>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hello, everyone. Here's the first draft of news item for
7 > > gx86-multilib. I tried to cover all the important aspects. Please
8 > > review and let me know what you think.
9 >
10 > > Title: True multilib support on amd64
11 > > Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
12 > > Content-Type: text/plain
13 > > Posted: 2015-01-28
14 > > Revision: 1
15 > > News-Item-Format: 1.0
16 > > Display-If-Keyword: amd64
17 > > Display-If-Keyword: ~amd64
18 >
19 > Users of no-multilib profiles won't be affected, so maybe
20 > Display-If-Profile should be used (in addition, or instead of
21 > Display-If-Keyword)?
22
23 Display-If-Profile does exact profile matching, so we'd have to keep
24 an up-to-date list of all profiles derived from multilib amd64...
25
26 > > Starting with 2015-03-29, we are enabling the true multilib support
27 > > on amd64 and masking the old emul-linux-x86 package sets for removal.
28 > > This change provides
29 >
30 > I'm not a native speaker, but shouldn't a future tense be used here?
31 >
32 > > our users with the opportunity to build 32-bit
33 > > libraries from source with all the flexibility given by ebuilds, rather
34 > > than relying on pre-packaged binary versions of them.
35 >
36 > > The switch to the new system is likely to require a specific action from
37 > > the users of our multilib profiles. Since the new system collides with
38 > > the old one, the Package Manager must be able to clearly satisfy all
39 > > the dependencies using the new system in order to proceed. This may
40 > > require unmerging packages installed from third-party repositories that
41 > > have not been updated to support the new system.
42 >
43 > > In order to enable building necessary 32-bit libraries, users will be
44 > > required to enable the abi_x86_32 USE flag on respective packages.
45 >
46 > How? Maybe add a hint that this should be done in package.accept_keywords?
47
48 It can't :P. But added a hint for package.use.
49
50 > > In most of the cases, Portage will be able to deliver correct
51 > > suggestions for that when using the --autounmask feature. However, some
52 > > users may prefer setting ABI_X86 globally to enable 32-bit libraries
53 > > in all packages supporting building them.
54 >
55 > Again, add a hint how to do this?
56
57 Likewise.
58
59 > > In case of issues, blockers especially, the users users
60 >
61 > s/the users users/users/
62
63 Fixed.
64
65 > > are recommended
66 > > to manually uninstall any emul-linux-x86 packages that may have been
67 > > installed on their systems. This will aid the Package Manager
68 > > in choosing the correct dependency resolution path. If using Portage,
69 > > this can be done using the following command:
70 >
71 > > $ emerge -C 'app-emulation/emul-linux-x86*'
72 >
73 > > Note that after performing this step, 32-bit applications on your system
74 >
75 > So far you have used third person throughout, so avoid the "your"
76 > here.
77
78 Fixed.
81 > > may become temporarily broken. Therefore, this step should be followed
82 > > by a @world upgrade immediately.
83 >
84 > Maybe a pointer to the wiki could be added? How about this:
85 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multilib_System_without_emul-linux_Packages
86 > (with that page being updated if necessary).
87
88 If someone has time to uncruft that wiki page, I'd be happy to link it.
91 Best regards,
92 Michał Górny