From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multilib amd64 news item for review
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 14:44:07
1 >>>>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > Hello, everyone. Here's the first draft of news item for
4 > gx86-multilib. I tried to cover all the important aspects. Please
5 > review and let me know what you think.
6
7 > Title: True multilib support on amd64
8 > Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
9 > Content-Type: text/plain
10 > Posted: 2015-01-28
11 > Revision: 1
12 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
13 > Display-If-Keyword: amd64
14 > Display-If-Keyword: ~amd64
15
16 Users of no-multilib profiles won't be affected, so maybe
17 Display-If-Profile should be used (in addition, or instead of
18 Display-If-Keyword)?
19
20 > Starting with 2015-03-29, we are enabling the true multilib support
21 > on amd64 and masking the old emul-linux-x86 package sets for removal.
22 > This change provides
23
24 I'm not a native speaker, but shouldn't a future tense be used here?
25
26 > our users with the opportunity to build 32-bit
27 > libraries from source with all the flexibility given by ebuilds, rather
28 > than relying on pre-packaged binary versions of them.
29
30 > The switch to the new system is likely to require a specific action from
31 > the users of our multilib profiles. Since the new system collides with
32 > the old one, the Package Manager must be able to clearly satisfy all
33 > the dependencies using the new system in order to proceed. This may
34 > require unmerging packages installed from third-party repositories that
35 > have not been updated to support the new system.
36
37 > In order to enable building necessary 32-bit libraries, users will be
38 > required to enable the abi_x86_32 USE flag on respective packages.
39
40 How? Maybe add a hint that this should be done in package.accept_keywords?
41
42 > In most of the cases, Portage will be able to deliver correct
43 > suggestions for that when using the --autounmask feature. However, some
44 > users may prefer setting ABI_X86 globally to enable 32-bit libraries
45 > in all packages supporting building them.
46
47 Again, add a hint how to do this?
48
49 > In case of issues, blockers especially, the users users
50
51 s/the users users/users/
52
53 > are recommended
54 > to manually uninstall any emul-linux-x86 packages that may have been
55 > installed on their systems. This will aid the Package Manager
56 > in choosing the correct dependency resolution path. If using Portage,
57 > this can be done using the following command:
58
59 > $ emerge -C 'app-emulation/emul-linux-x86*'
60
61 > Note that after performing this step, 32-bit applications on your system
62
63 So far you have used third person throughout, so avoid the "your"
64 here.
65
66 > may become temporarily broken. Therefore, this step should be followed
67 > by a @world upgrade immediately.
68
69 Maybe a pointer to the wiki could be added? How about this:
70 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multilib_System_without_emul-linux_Packages
71 (with that page being updated if necessary).
72
73 Ulrich