From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multilib amd64 news item for review
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 16:25:17
1 On 15 March 2015 at 22:43, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hello, everyone. Here's the first draft of news item for
5 >> gx86-multilib. I tried to cover all the important aspects. Please
6 >> review and let me know what you think.
7 >
8 >> Title: True multilib support on amd64
9 >> Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
10 >> Content-Type: text/plain
11 >> Posted: 2015-01-28
12 >> Revision: 1
13 >> News-Item-Format: 1.0
14 >> Display-If-Keyword: amd64
15 >> Display-If-Keyword: ~amd64
16 >
17 > Users of no-multilib profiles won't be affected, so maybe
18 > Display-If-Profile should be used (in addition, or instead of
19 > Display-If-Keyword)?
20 >
21 >> Starting with 2015-03-29, we are enabling the true multilib support
22 >> on amd64 and masking the old emul-linux-x86 package sets for removal.
23 >> This change provides
24 >
25 > I'm not a native speaker, but shouldn't a future tense be used here?
26
27 English teacher here: no. The present continuous ("are enabling") is a
28 normal way to express the future in English.
29 The only changes necessary here, as already noted, is changing 'with'
30 to 'on' before the date, and dropping 'the' before true.
31
32 It may be nice to specify *stable* amd64. I would also say that 'true'
33 is incorrect, as the emul packages were also truly multilib, just
34 implemented in a different way. Maybe 'eclass-based' is more specific
35 and less opinionated?
36
37 >> our users with the opportunity to build 32-bit
38 >> libraries from source with all the flexibility given by ebuilds, rather
39 >> than relying on pre-packaged binary versions of them.
40 > [...]
41 >> installed on their systems. This will aid the Package Manager
42 >> in choosing the correct dependency resolution path. If using Portage,
43 >> this can be done using the following command:
44 >
45 >> $ emerge -C 'app-emulation/emul-linux-x86*'
46 >
47 >> Note that after performing this step, 32-bit applications on your system
48 >
49 > So far you have used third person throughout, so avoid the "your"
50 > here.
51
52 I agree. Maybe 'that'?
55 Cheers,