From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multilib amd64 news item for review
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 15:41:38
1 On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> Starting with 2015-03-29, we are enabling the true multilib support
5 >> on amd64 and masking the old emul-linux-x86 package sets for removal.
6 >> This change provides
7 >
8 > I'm not a native speaker, but shouldn't a future tense be used here?
9 >
10 >> our users with the opportunity to build 32-bit
11 >> libraries from source with all the flexibility given by ebuilds, rather
12 >> than relying on pre-packaged binary versions of them.
15 I suggest:
16
17 Starting on 2015-03-29, we are enabling true multilib support
18 on amd64 and masking the old emul-linux-x86 package sets for removal.
19 This change provides our users with the opportunity to build 32-bit
20 libraries from source with all the flexibility given by ebuilds, rather
21 than relying on pre-packaged binary versions of them.
22
23 I just changed "with" to "on" and dropped a "the." I think this
24 sounds fairly natural - a grammar nazi might disagree, but I'd rate
25 the paragraph above average for a native born American college
26 graduate. (Granted, that isn't saying a whole lot). Without those
27 tweaks I'd say it is still better than a lot of stuff that passes for
28 prose these days. :)
29
30 Trust me, you don't want to see my attempts at German, so I'll be the
31 last to critique anybody's use of English (American or otherwise)...
34 Rich