From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:05:34
1 On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:34:20 +0100
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Alexis Ballier schrieb:
5 > > It would probably generate controversy indeed, but my comment was
6 > > more to understand what is the root of the f34R of udev being
7 > > absorbed by systemd: "it is supposedly unsupported upstream and
8 > > might not work at some point".
9 > > Well, as far as I can see, you are maintaining sys-fs/udev
10 > > standalone and don't intend to drop it. Even if you did, we could
11 > > still pkgmove it to systemd. My conclusion is that this claim of
12 > > udev being a dead end is pure FUD.
13 >
14 > This claim was made by upstream, no less. And it refers to *running*
15 > udev without systemd as opposed to building (which upstream already
16 > made impossible).
17 >
18 > Here is the exact wording:
19 > "Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
20 > kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we
21 > will not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at
22 > that point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call."
23 > https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
24 >
25 > Not sure what about this is FUD.
26
27 If it is kdbus, this has changed quite a bit in the past months: it's
28 now dropped and replaced by bus1, and afaik, there is no plan to make a
29 systemd only lib for easying usage:
30 https://github.com/bus1/libbus1
31
32 I also fail to see how udev using a new linux ipc would make it require
33 systemd. Quoting Lennart:
34 "You need the userspace code to set up the bus and its policy and handle
35 activation. That's not a trivial task. For us, that's what sytemd does
36 in PID 1. You'd need to come up with an alternative for that."
37
38 If it's just that, it's not limited to udev, but anything using
39 kdbus/bus1, and would mean openrc/${favorite init system} will have to
40 do the same thing anyway. But again, almost 2 years is extremely
41 old considering all the flux that has been around kbus.
42
43 Alexis.