From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:34:37
1 Alexis Ballier schrieb:
2 > It would probably generate controversy indeed, but my comment was more
3 > to understand what is the root of the f34R of udev being absorbed by
4 > systemd: "it is supposedly unsupported upstream and might not work at
5 > some point".
6 > Well, as far as I can see, you are maintaining sys-fs/udev standalone
7 > and don't intend to drop it. Even if you did, we could still pkgmove it
8 > to systemd. My conclusion is that this claim of udev being a dead end
9 > is pure FUD.
10
11 This claim was made by upstream, no less. And it refers to *running*
12 udev without systemd as opposed to building (which upstream already made
13 impossible).
14
15 Here is the exact wording:
16 "Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
17 kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we will
18 not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that
19 point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call."
20 https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
21
22 Not sure what about this is FUD.
25 Best regards,