From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:39:12
1 On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 07:34:20PM +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Alexis Ballier schrieb:
3 > > It would probably generate controversy indeed, but my comment was more
4 > > to understand what is the root of the f34R of udev being absorbed by
5 > > systemd: "it is supposedly unsupported upstream and might not work at
6 > > some point".
7 > > Well, as far as I can see, you are maintaining sys-fs/udev standalone
8 > > and don't intend to drop it. Even if you did, we could still pkgmove it
9 > > to systemd. My conclusion is that this claim of udev being a dead end
10 > > is pure FUD.
11 >
12 > This claim was made by upstream, no less. And it refers to *running*
13 > udev without systemd as opposed to building (which upstream already made
14 > impossible).
15 >
16 > Here is the exact wording:
17 > "Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
18 > kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we will
19 > not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that
20 > point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call."
21 > https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
22 >
23 > Not sure what about this is FUD.
24
25 Maybe FUD is the incorrect way to put it, but I think us doing something
26 about it at this point is definitely premature since KDBUS is no where
27 near ready to go -- they were forced to retract it a while back because
28 they had to re-think the design.
29
30 William