From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:13:02
1 On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:45:41 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 07:11:26AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Alexis Ballier
6 > > <aballier@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:34:52 -0600
8 > > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > >> And, as for right now, udev-229 is in the tree, so udev can
11 > > >> still be extracted and run standalone from systemd.
12 > > >
13 > > > and even with that, I don't think there is anything preventing
14 > > > using systemd-udev from an openrc boot, is it ? (ie, have systemd
15 > > > installed but booting with openrc)
16 > > >
17 > >
18 > > Correct, you can uninstall sys-fs/(e)udev and install
19 > > sys-apps/systemd, then boot with openrc, and udev will work just
20 > > fine.
21 >
22 > This is correct. udev does not require systemd in order to run; the
23 > only thing it needs is the systemd build environment since there is
24 > common source code.
25 >
26 > The primary reason we have sys-fs/udev in the tree these days is so
27 > people can have upstream udev without installing systemd.
28 >
29 > In theory, we could lastrites sys-fs/udev and make sys-apps/systemd
30 > the default udev provider, but I'm sure that change would be even
31 > more controversial than what we are discussing. ;-)
32
33 It would probably generate controversy indeed, but my comment was more
34 to understand what is the root of the f34R of udev being absorbed by
35 systemd: "it is supposedly unsupported upstream and might not work at
36 some point".
37
38 Well, as far as I can see, you are maintaining sys-fs/udev standalone
39 and don't intend to drop it. Even if you did, we could still pkgmove it
40 to systemd. My conclusion is that this claim of udev being a dead end
41 is pure FUD.
42
43 Alexis.