From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:49:30
1 On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 07:11:26AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:34:52 -0600
4 > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> And, as for right now, udev-229 is in the tree, so udev can still be
7 > >> extracted and run standalone from systemd.
8 > >
9 > > and even with that, I don't think there is anything preventing using
10 > > systemd-udev from an openrc boot, is it ? (ie, have systemd installed
11 > > but booting with openrc)
14 > Correct, you can uninstall sys-fs/(e)udev and install
15 > sys-apps/systemd, then boot with openrc, and udev will work just fine.
16
17 This is correct. udev does not require systemd in order to run; the only
18 thing it needs is the systemd build environment since there is common
19 source code.
20
21 The primary reason we have sys-fs/udev in the tree these days is so
22 people can have upstream udev without installing systemd.
23
24 In theory, we could lastrites sys-fs/udev and make sys-apps/systemd the default
25 udev provider, but I'm sure that change would be even more controversial
26 than what we are discussing. ;-)
27
28 William