From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:56:50
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 16:26 +0100, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:10:14AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > Personally, I would like to see stage1 and stage2 go away completely.
4 > > They serve no real purpose anymore after the changes we have made to the
5 > > stages to include a complete /var/db before 2005.0's release. They take
6 > > longer to use for installation, and give you exactly 0 advantages over a
7 > > stage3 that cannot be done with a stage3 tarball itself.
8 >
9 > Perhaps we should just document these facts better? Write a news item
10 > explaining the reasons behind removing stage1/2 instructions from our
11 > handbooks - and explain _why_ stage1 and 2 are not really better than
12 > a stage3 install + bootstrap.sh + emerge -e world. Perhaps also add a
13 > small note about this to the handbook.
14
15 Well, the information was in the bug linked with the GWN article, along
16 with also in the gentoo-docs mailing list archive that was posted.
17
18 > If our users are explained why stage1/2 installs don't give any
19 > benefits over a stage3 install, I trust them to aknowledge this fact.
20
21 Your faith is much stronger than mine.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
26 x86 Architecture Team
27 Games - Developer