From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:30:28
1 On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:10:14AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Personally, I would like to see stage1 and stage2 go away completely.
3 > They serve no real purpose anymore after the changes we have made to the
4 > stages to include a complete /var/db before 2005.0's release. They take
5 > longer to use for installation, and give you exactly 0 advantages over a
6 > stage3 that cannot be done with a stage3 tarball itself.
7
8 Perhaps we should just document these facts better? Write a news item
9 explaining the reasons behind removing stage1/2 instructions from our
10 handbooks - and explain _why_ stage1 and 2 are not really better than
11 a stage3 install + bootstrap.sh + emerge -e world. Perhaps also add a
12 small note about this to the handbook.
13
14 If our users are explained why stage1/2 installs don't give any
15 benefits over a stage3 install, I trust them to aknowledge this fact.
16
17 Regards,
18 Brix
19 --
20 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
21 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd