From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Video4Linux and linux headers
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:10:21
1 Hi,
2 I don't remember why I started looking at avifile this night, but while I was
3 at it, I found something which uncovers a bit of troubles with v4l useflag.
4
5 Summarizing:
6
7 v4l useflag enables Video4Linux support (usually webcams and tv cards) on many
8 multimedia softwares (like avifile, but not only).
9 As v4l is related to kernel, it needs kernel's headers to be used by software
10 (usually linux/videodev.h file).
11 V4L is not avaiable on non-linux systems.
12
13 Now, I was trying to add dependency on headers if v4l was used, but adding a
14 simple v4l? ( sys-kernel/linux-headers ) doesn't work as mips uses
15 mips-headers.
16 I'm not sure to use virtual/os-headers as it targets also non-linux headers.
17
18 But then joem and geoman pointed out that v4l should only be used on linux, so
19 it should be usemasked on other arches.
20
21 Now what? I'm going to ask here what to do with this. I think the right way
22 should be adding v4l to base/use.mask and then -v4l on
23 default-linux/use.mask, as it's strictly-linux thing.
26 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
27 http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/