From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:27:22
1 On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 10:13 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Personally, I'd say 686 is the lowest reasonable to support at this point.
3
4 That's pretty much our target.
5
6 > Below that, try an appropriate binary distribution and save the days/weeks
7 > of compiling. Of course, Gentoo is highly customizable, and folks could
8 > try it on 386 if they wanted, but I don't believe it's worth supporting
9 > below 686 at this point. That's personally. I'm sure there are folks
10 > that would argue we should at least support 586, but I simply don't
11 > believe it's worth it.
12
13 There's a difference between "support" and "ability". You will retain
14 the ability to install on < i686 machines. We just don't want to
15 support it. This means we aren't going to be pushing out lots of new
16 media for them.
17
18 I have a set of legacy media that I plan on pushing out. It is all
19 built with the 2006.1 snapshot. The media is an installcd, a stage set
20 (stage1/2/3) for "x86" compiled against the no-nptl profile, a stage set
21 for "i586" compiled against the 2006.1 profile, and a stage set for
22 "i586" compiled against the no-nptl profile. I don't plan on upgrading
23 these until we switch over to the new multiple-inheritance profiles, at
24 which point, I'll likely build a set of stages again for legacy
25 hardware. The stages won't be supported, but they'll be available.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
30 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
31 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
32 Gentoo Foundation