From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:17:36
1 Peter Weber <peterle@×××××××××××××.org> posted
2 1160431074.6362.9.camel@×××××.homenetwork, excerpted below, on Mon, 09
3 Oct 2006 23:57:54 +0200:
4
5 > It was only a suggestion, not a decision. Of course, there are only a
6 > little number of this early systems.
7 > i686 would be really nice, i386 would be nice, too ;-)
8
9 Anybody doing Gentoo on even a Pentium original is going to be compiling
10 for awhile unless they do GRP only, and that's inadvised as GRP isn't
11 security updated until the next release, six months later! A couple years
12 ago when I first started with Gentoo and was on the main user list, I
13 believe I saw a thread where a couple folks claimed to have done it on 486
14 mainly to be able to say they'd done so, taking weeks of course to do it,
15 even compiling 24/7, but a 386? IMO there are better ways to spend your
16 years... <g>
17
18 Personally, I'd say 686 is the lowest reasonable to support at this point.
19 Below that, try an appropriate binary distribution and save the days/weeks
20 of compiling. Of course, Gentoo is highly customizable, and folks could
21 try it on 386 if they wanted, but I don't believe it's worth supporting
22 below 686 at this point. That's personally. I'm sure there are folks
23 that would argue we should at least support 586, but I simply don't
24 believe it's worth it.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list