From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:55:50
1 On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:13:41AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Personally, I'd say 686 is the lowest reasonable to support at this point.
3 > Below that, try an appropriate binary distribution and save the days/weeks
4 > of compiling.
5
6 Bollocks. I run a print/samba/backup box at work which is a pentium II
7 400. Compiling glibc takes 3 hours here and while it may not be the
8 fastest box around it is enough to fulfill its duty. It also beats my
9 desktop (a pentium 3 866) every time i do upgrade operations involving
10 recompiling (bigger parts of) the system, simply because it has way
11 less packages installed (e.g. no X, mozilla-*, openoffice, etc). So
12 basically i should probably switch over my desktop if it was about
13 compile times - but honestly i don't care about them a lot
14 anyway. Also, there is no binary distribution i find as attractive as
15 Gentoo and know how to manage that well.
16
17 > Of course, Gentoo is highly customizable, and folks could
18 > try it on 386 if they wanted, but I don't believe it's worth supporting
19 > below 686 at this point. That's personally. I'm sure there are folks
20 > that would argue we should at least support 586, but I simply don't
21 > believe it's worth it.
22
23 Which kind of support are you speaking of? As for installation media,
24 i really don't care. I fully agree <i686 is dying out and if the
25 release media is built built for i686 only i have no problem with that
26 either. If you really want to put Gentoo on a i586 there are a other
27 ways to do it, too, but i don't think we should stop supporting i586
28 in general.
29
30 cheers,
31 Wernfried
34 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
35 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
36 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org