From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:19:29
1 On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:13:41AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Personally, I'd say 686 is the lowest reasonable to support at this point.
3 > Below that, try an appropriate binary distribution and save the days/weeks
4 > of compiling. Of course, Gentoo is highly customizable, and folks could
5 > try it on 386 if they wanted, but I don't believe it's worth supporting
6 > below 686 at this point. That's personally. I'm sure there are folks
7 > that would argue we should at least support 586, but I simply don't
8 > believe it's worth it.
9
10 There are CPUs like VIA C3 which don't have support for cmov and
11 i think gcc asumes that cmov is present if march is i686. Don't
12 know if this changed now.
13
14 I wouldn't like if i couldn't install Gentoo on my 800Mhz C3
15 machines anymore because something like -march=i686 is being used.
16
17 Maybe it's a radical point of view but i think generic i386 or
18 maybe i486 binaries are enough for a boot CD and stages. Almost
19 everyone will rebuild the stuff anyway. And i don't think there's
20 a huge speed loss until the binaries are rebuilt.
21
22 Christian
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list