From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo for production servers.
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 04:46:00
1 On Friday 05 December 2003 20:51, Lisa Seelye wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 14:38, Brett Simpson wrote:
3 > > Since this was based off of Gentoo 1.0 how relevant is this for the
4 > > current 1.4 release in a production server environment?
5 >
6 > Gentoo is flexible enough to be placed in just about any type of
7 > environment. As we move closer and closer to Portage-ng the
8 > administrator of a production server will only gain more control over
9 > the Gentoo machines he or she maintains.
10
11 In general when you have to maintain such a system you want to keep it as it
12 is. To avoid it breaking, or users being annoyed with changed interfaces.
13 This means that you install once, and after that want to change as little as
14 possible. With the current portage this is not easy because ebuilds disapear
15 after they have been succeeded by newer ones. "Enterprise Gentoo" basically
16 is a specially audited tarbal of ebuilds which have been taken from the main
17 tree, and for which there is a team that says. We will provide security
18 backports for this and fixes for those really annoying bugs, but mainly will
19 allow you to run the same system for a year without anything changeing away
20 from under your feet.
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze