From: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo for production servers.
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 12:36:12
1 On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 05:45, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > In general when you have to maintain such a system you want to keep it as it
3 > is. To avoid it breaking, or users being annoyed with changed interfaces.
4 > This means that you install once, and after that want to change as little as
5 > possible. With the current portage this is not easy because ebuilds disapear
6 > after they have been succeeded by newer ones.
7
8 Valid enough concern. However if I was building a series of Gentoo
9 servers that were to be as stable as could be I would go through the
10 portage tree and prune non-server stuff (such as x11-*) and then create
11 my own Portage tree to sync against.
14 Regards,
15 -Lisa
16 <Vix ulla tam iniqua pax, quin bello vel aequissimo sit potior>