From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 08:58:53
1 On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 21:45:49 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > Let's keep it short: I think herds don't serve any special purpose
7 > nowadays. Their existence is mostly resulting in lack of consistency
8 > and inconveniences.
9 >
10 > In particular:
11 >
12 > 1. We have two different tags in metadata.xml that serve a similar
14 > descriptive. For this reason, sometimes herd's associated e-mail is
15 > listed as <maintainer/>, and sometimes even the same thing is listed
16 > using both tags.
17
18 Herds are groups of people that the Gentoo Project knows about. There
19 may be other aliases, but these particular ones are bound to a
20 @gentoo.org alias. That is what the <herd> tags convey. In April 2008 we
21 came to some sort of agreement about the way bugs are assigned (first
22 <maintainer> is assignee, rest is CC'd, first <herd> is assignee when
23 no <maintainer> is mentioned) and that works quite well (especially
24 because the assignee is now not the person "blamed" for a bug report).
25
26 A <herd> is a group of people, and a <maintainer> is not. If a new
27 developer Devon comes along and is allowed to choose a nick like
28 "gentoo-devs" (he considers himself a member of "Gentoo" (wat?) and
29 "Devs" is what everyone already calls him), then the difference in
30 tags should make a clear distinction:
31
32 <herd>gentoo-devs</herd> <!-- This is a group of people -->
34 for itself -->
35
36 If there is any lack of clarity here, herd members should clear up which
37 is which.
38
39 As the way <herd> and <maintainer> tags are listed in metadata.xml is
40 important, people have got creative with that format, and that's how we
41 ended up reading this thread. We could change that first, and simply
42 change the rules for bug assignment:
43
44 1) First <herd> or <maintainer> is the Assignee.
45 2) The rest is CC'd.
46
47 People will still insist on adding comments and attributes that state
48 exceptions, but that's fine.
49
50 > 2. The common use of <herd/> and <maintainer/> thingies forces
51 > a particular maintainership model. In particular, we always assume
52 > <maintainer/> comes first, and <herd/> serves as a backup. You can't
53 > properly say otherwise using both tags.
54
55 How is that an inconvenience (since it is done consistently)? It's
56 good to know whether you are addressing a single individual or a group.
57 Conversely it is already good practice to not post to mailing lists and
58 use the bug tracker in the name of a whole team (there have been
59 instances where someone was accidentally logged in under a herd title -
60 that's a bad thing).
61
62 > 3. The project member and herd member lists are constantly outdated.
63 > In fact, most of the herds don't even list members -- just point out
64 > to outdated project pages :).
65
66 So these should be automagically updated to reflect the alias' list of
67 real e-mail addresses? Sure, it's inconvenient the way it is now (and
68 has been for years), but that doesn't mean we should drop herds
69 altogether.
70
71 > 4. The whole indirection is just irritating. You can't assign a bug
72 > using metadata.xml without fetching herds.xml that's in a different
73 > CVS repo.
74
75 I seem to recall lamenting the lack of a proper link between the two
76 years ago, arguing that either a) bugzilla should automatically expand
77 <herd> with @gentoo.org (which fails when projects inexplicably choose
78 username strings that are different from the respective <herd> strings),
79 or that b) in metadata.xml the full e-mail address should be used
80 instead of a keyword that needs to be looked up.
81
82 > What do you think?
83
84 Right now, CC'ing a single alias is inconvenient, but under your
85 proposal, you might need to CC a dozen or more people instead of that
86 alias.
87
88 Herd aliases (and e-mail aliases in general) are convenient in that you
89 don't need to constantly update who is CC'd on mail and bugzilla. You
90 haven't shown a convenient alternative for that.
91
92 If herds are just that - aliases - and nothing more, then I say we keep
93 them and fix the indirection in <herd> <=> alias instead of dropping
94 the whole concept.
97 jer