From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:25:35
1 On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Right now, CC'ing a single alias is inconvenient, but under your
4 > proposal, you might need to CC a dozen or more people instead of that
5 > alias.
8 That is incorrect. Herds would be replaced with projects, not with
9 lists of individual (non-)maintainers.
10
11 I don't think that anybody thinks that having groups of devs isn't
12 useful. The problem is that we have two different mechanisms for
13 having groups of people, and one of them seems to make more sense than
14 the other.
15
16 Answer this: 5 developers want to maintain a group of packages
17 together. Should they form a herd, or a project? Under what
18 circumstances should they choose one vs the other?
19
20 I don't think the distinction is particularly useful, and projects at
21 least have a straightforward governance model.
24 Rich