From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:51:22
1 On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 06:25:28 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Right now, CC'ing a single alias is inconvenient, but under your
8 > > proposal, you might need to CC a dozen or more people instead of
9 > > that alias.
12 > That is incorrect. Herds would be replaced with projects, not with
13 > lists of individual (non-)maintainers.
14
15 No, it's entirely correct. Killing <herd> but keeping <maintainer> with
16 its current denotation and connotation would mean listing separate
17 actual maintainers.
18
19 Luckily we can instead choose to replace the contents of <herd> with
20 the alias listed in herds.xml. We would then be changing the meaning of
21 <maintainer> in addition to removing <herd>.
22
23 It all depends on how you interpret the "using the alias" in the
24 original thread starter, I guess.
25
26 > I don't think that anybody thinks that having groups of devs isn't
27 > useful. The problem is that we have two different mechanisms for
28 > having groups of people, and one of them seems to make more sense than
29 > the other.
30
31 Right. And nobody was contesting that.
34 jer