From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 18:21:50
1 On 09/27/2014 08:51 PM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 06:25:28 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
6 >> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> Right now, CC'ing a single alias is inconvenient, but under your
9 >>> proposal, you might need to CC a dozen or more people instead of
10 >>> that alias.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> That is incorrect. Herds would be replaced with projects, not with
14 >> lists of individual (non-)maintainers.
15 >
16 > No, it's entirely correct. Killing <herd> but keeping <maintainer> with
17 > its current denotation and connotation would mean listing separate
18 > actual maintainers.
19 >
20 > Luckily we can instead choose to replace the contents of <herd> with
21 > the alias listed in herds.xml. We would then be changing the meaning of
22 > <maintainer> in addition to removing <herd>.
23 >
24 > It all depends on how you interpret the "using the alias" in the
25 > original thread starter, I guess.
26
27 Don't forget that presence or lack thereof on an alias is no indication
28 of a person's project membership. In KDE project for example we have
29 people on our alias that are not part of the project, and people not
30 that are.