From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 21:35:28
1 On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 06:25:28 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Right now, CC'ing a single alias is inconvenient, but under your
8 > > proposal, you might need to CC a dozen or more people instead of
9 > > that alias.
12 > That is incorrect. Herds would be replaced with projects, not with
13 > lists of individual (non-)maintainers.
14 >
15 > I don't think that anybody thinks that having groups of devs isn't
16 > useful. The problem is that we have two different mechanisms for
17 > having groups of people, and one of them seems to make more sense than
18 > the other.
19 >
20 > Answer this: 5 developers want to maintain a group of packages
21 > together. Should they form a herd, or a project? Under what
22 > circumstances should they choose one vs the other?
23 >
24 > I don't think the distinction is particularly useful, and projects at
25 > least have a straightforward governance model.
26 >
27 > --
28 > Rich
31 Herds cannot be replaced by projects, because projects can contain
32 multiple herds; iotw, there's no one-to-one mapping between them.
33
34 I don't think having multiple mechanisms to form groups is a problem;
35 from my previous paragraph, it becomes clear that it is a solution.
36
37 Answer: The project model has some concepts that herds do not have.
38
39 I don't think discussing this is useful, projects are documented.