From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:42:43
1 On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 04:29:44 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 13 June 2006 16:17, Peter wrote:
4 >> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:17:10 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >> > | Care to elaborate? The wise, all-knowing Zen argument isn't |
6 >> >
7 >> > particularly helpful....
8 >> >
9 >> > It's perfect proof that there are users that are utterly clueless
10 >> > about what is best for their system, and utterly clueless about how
11 >> > using third party software can cause problems for other software.
12 >>
13 >> It's no such proof. Anyone who rolls a kernel, takes the time to learn
14 >> what it entails, understands what he/she is intending to do, knows the
15 >> ramifications of those actions. Gentoo users, in particular, by virtue
16 >> of the fact that this is a source-based distro, have to be accorded a
17 >> slightly higher level of respect and regard.
18 >
19 > you clearly have never heard of love/nitro sources and all the fun we
20 > went through back when they were being "actively maintained"
21 >
22 Actually, I have. I never wanted to use them because, as with the -mm
23 sources, they were using stuff not based on the current kernel, but future
24 enhancements which may or may not make it to the kernel. As for gentoo's
25 experience with those versions, I am not familiar. Before my time here.
26 But -mm lives in the tree and so does -ck (and I know dsd is _thrilled_
27 having them there :)).
28
29 > being able to download patchsets from the internet, touchup a few lines
30 > so they apply without rejects, and releasing the result to the rest of
31 > the world deserves no respect/regard ... you've proven you have skills
32 > at:
33 > - wget
34 > - patch
35 > - an editor
36 > - tar
37 >
38 > the respect/regard comes when the compiled kernel *actually performs*
39 > -mike
40
41 I respect your opinion. But, does that mean e17 should be removed, because
42 it really has a lot of problems (like its file manager), or all it's
43 libraries? How about wine? Just because a project may entail risk, should
44 not eliminate it from being considered for inclusion in the tree OR in an
45 overlay.
46
47 Anyone can write an ebuild which is different from being able to code an
48 application. That's obvious. Providing ebuilds is not at all the same in
49 terms of scope, difficulty or even talent level. I am sure there are many
50 sucky applications in the tree. But, the purpose of providing ebuilds is
51 to provide more choice. If you like e17, even though it really is half
52 functional, and I like e16, which also has some, but not as many issues,
53 is Gentoo wrong to provide e17 as a choice along with e16?
54
55 If a user downloads a hardened kernel and installs it, and wonders why
56 some things which used to work fine no longer do, is that the fault of the
57 ebuild provider? The fault of the people who did the patches? The fault
58 of Gentoo? No. Same with sellinux. People can get just as messed up with
59 those, as they could with -mm or -ck or -beyond. If someone wants to try
60 reiser4 and wonder why their hard disk resembles a Picasso painting, is
61 that the fault of the ebuild's providers?
62
63 And, yes, I showed my "limited" skills in downloading and applying
64 patches for the beyond sources. But, I also applied most of the
65 gentoo-base and extra patches to beyond as well (if you reviewed the
66 ebuild). And, you know what? It benchmarks better than all but -ck. I have
67 not had a crash due to the kernel in two weeks and, it even runs VMWare
68 which the author (iphitus) wasn't even sure it would do! This was reported
69 upstream.
70
71 JM2C
74 Peter