From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using emerge-webrsync to simplify the handbook
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:09:48
1 On 11/28/2012 09:17 AM, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3 >> We could slightly simplify the handbook installation procedure if we
4 >> told people to use emerge-webrsync to fetch the initial snapshot.
5 >
6 > Using emerge-webrsync also makes the installation process more robust,
7 > since it only requires HTTP access (whereas many firewalls restrict
8 > RSYNC). Besides, emerge-webrsync can check PGP signatures, so I think
9 > that it should be the primary recommended portage tree synchronization
10 > method.
13 The only downside of which I am aware is increased network traffic.
14 However, we could redesign emerge-webrsync to take advantage of GNU
15 Tar's incremental archive functionality.
16
17 That would permit us to mirror compressed diffs in addition to regular
18 portage snapshots. Doing that well could reduce bandwidth requirements.