From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ryao@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using emerge-webrsync to simplify the handbook
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:49:53
1 On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:05:55 -0500
2 Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 11/28/2012 09:17 AM, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
5 > > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> We could slightly simplify the handbook installation procedure if we
7 > >> told people to use emerge-webrsync to fetch the initial snapshot.
8 > >
9 > > Using emerge-webrsync also makes the installation process more robust,
10 > > since it only requires HTTP access (whereas many firewalls restrict
11 > > RSYNC). Besides, emerge-webrsync can check PGP signatures, so I think
12 > > that it should be the primary recommended portage tree synchronization
13 > > method.
16 > The only downside of which I am aware is increased network traffic.
17 > However, we could redesign emerge-webrsync to take advantage of GNU
18 > Tar's incremental archive functionality.
19 >
20 > That would permit us to mirror compressed diffs in addition to regular
21 > portage snapshots. Doing that well could reduce bandwidth requirements.
22
23 There's emerge-delta-webrsync but it's mostly hand-work to reconstruct
24 the webrsync tarball. Therefore, it is very slow and not worth
25 the effort when syncing often.
26
27 However, I'm not aware of gnu tar's incremental archive. If it's much
28 faster than the above, then it should probably replace
29 emerge-delta-webrsync.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny