From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, ryao@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using emerge-webrsync to simplify the handbook
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:35:46
1 On 11/28/2012 09:50 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:05:55 -0500
3 > Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 11/28/2012 09:17 AM, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
6 >>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>> We could slightly simplify the handbook installation procedure if we
8 >>>> told people to use emerge-webrsync to fetch the initial snapshot.
9 >>>
10 >>> Using emerge-webrsync also makes the installation process more robust,
11 >>> since it only requires HTTP access (whereas many firewalls restrict
12 >>> RSYNC). Besides, emerge-webrsync can check PGP signatures, so I think
13 >>> that it should be the primary recommended portage tree synchronization
14 >>> method.
15 >>>
16 >>
17 >> The only downside of which I am aware is increased network traffic.
18 >> However, we could redesign emerge-webrsync to take advantage of GNU
19 >> Tar's incremental archive functionality.
20 >>
21 >> That would permit us to mirror compressed diffs in addition to regular
22 >> portage snapshots. Doing that well could reduce bandwidth requirements.
23 >
24 > There's emerge-delta-webrsync but it's mostly hand-work to reconstruct
25 > the webrsync tarball. Therefore, it is very slow and not worth
26 > the effort when syncing often.
27
28 At least because I maintain emerge-delta-webrsync, I use it regularly as
29 my sync method. Latest versions of emerge-delta-webrsync use a temp
30 directory inside $PORTAGE_TMPDIR/portage, on which I have a tmpfs
31 filesystem mounted. With tmpfs, performance does not seem so bad (using
32 a sandy bridge core i5 here).
33
34 > However, I'm not aware of gnu tar's incremental archive. If it's much
35 > faster than the above, then it should probably replace
36 > emerge-delta-webrsync.
37
38 If it has benefits over the current diffball approach used by
39 emerge-delta-webrsync, then it seems like a good idea. It would be nice
40 to integrate it directly into emerge-webrsync, and eventually deprecate
41 emerge-delta-webrsync.
42 --
43 Thanks,
44 Zac