From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News draft #2 for the udev-210 upgrade (was: 209 upgrade)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:27:31
1 On 25/02/14 14:18, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 02/25/2014 6:39 AM, Thomas D. wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> line 16 ("renamed the file to
6 >> /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules") and line 18 ("you can
7 >> override in /etc/systemd/network/") doesn't end with punctuation.
10 >> Did I get this right? I am using udev to give my interfaces custom names
11 >> and I am not a systemd user but to keep my setup working with udev-210 I
12 >> have to exclude
13 >>
14 >> /lib/systemd/network/
15 >> /etc/systemd/
16 >>
17 >> from my INSTALL_MASK *and* I have to configure things in
18 >> "/etc/systemd/"? Really?
19 > "Resistance is futile."
20 > "Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You must comply."
21 > -- The Borg Collective
22 >
23 > "You will be upgraded."
24 > "You will become like us."
25 > -- Cybermen
28 >> Anyway:
29 >> Don't get me wrong. Yes, I don't use systemd and I am a happy OpenRC
30 >> user but I have no problems with systemd (as long as it doesn't affects
31 >> me). But this upgrade seems to affect non-systemd users.
32 >>
33 >> Wasn't Gentoo about choices?
34 >>
35 >> So when it is possible to provide a sys-fs/udev package like Lars
36 >> (Polynomial-C) has shown which won't require non-systemd user to use
37 >> files from systemd and to do configuration in "/etc/systemd/" why don't
38 >> we provide such a package to non-systemd users?
39 >> The package already has an "openrc" USE flag...
40 > There still is choice. It's just harder to find and/or use, unfortunately.
41 > We have the sys-fs/eudev package that forked udev and re-split it out of
42 > systemd. That might satisfy your need for a clean replacement of the
43 > standard udev w/o modifying any custom device rules and such that you might
44 > have.
45 >
46 > There's also the option of using busybox's mdev as well, although it's a lot
47 > more limited and no where near as configurable as udev/eudev is. But for
48 > some, it works perfectly (like me).
49 >
50 > Eudev:
51 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Eudev
52 >
53 > Mdev:
54 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
57 If someone is willing to change his device manager because a file or
58 directory
59 name is 'systemd', then by all means, sounds very logical system maintaince,
60 not.
61
62 - Samuli