From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News draft #2 for the udev-210 upgrade (was: 209 upgrade)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:18:24
1 On 02/25/2014 6:39 AM, Thomas D. wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > line 16 ("renamed the file to
5 > /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules") and line 18 ("you can
6 > override in /etc/systemd/network/") doesn't end with punctuation.
9 > Did I get this right? I am using udev to give my interfaces custom names
10 > and I am not a systemd user but to keep my setup working with udev-210 I
11 > have to exclude
12 >
13 > /lib/systemd/network/
14 > /etc/systemd/
15 >
16 > from my INSTALL_MASK *and* I have to configure things in
17 > "/etc/systemd/"? Really?
18
19 "Resistance is futile."
20 "Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You must comply."
21 -- The Borg Collective
22
23 "You will be upgraded."
24 "You will become like us."
25 -- Cybermen
28 > Anyway:
29 > Don't get me wrong. Yes, I don't use systemd and I am a happy OpenRC
30 > user but I have no problems with systemd (as long as it doesn't affects
31 > me). But this upgrade seems to affect non-systemd users.
32 >
33 > Wasn't Gentoo about choices?
34 >
35 > So when it is possible to provide a sys-fs/udev package like Lars
36 > (Polynomial-C) has shown which won't require non-systemd user to use
37 > files from systemd and to do configuration in "/etc/systemd/" why don't
38 > we provide such a package to non-systemd users?
39 > The package already has an "openrc" USE flag...
40
41 There still is choice. It's just harder to find and/or use, unfortunately.
42 We have the sys-fs/eudev package that forked udev and re-split it out of
43 systemd. That might satisfy your need for a clean replacement of the
44 standard udev w/o modifying any custom device rules and such that you might
45 have.
46
47 There's also the option of using busybox's mdev as well, although it's a lot
48 more limited and no where near as configurable as udev/eudev is. But for
49 some, it works perfectly (like me).
50
51 Eudev:
52 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Eudev
53
54 Mdev:
55 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
58 Joshua Kinard
59 Gentoo/MIPS
60 kumba@g.o
61 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
62
63 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
64 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
65
66 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic