From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:12:31
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 12:46 +0100, Andres Loeh wrote:
3
4 > As I've said, my only request is a single policy that before an overlay
5 > can become publicly readable on overlays.gentoo.org (which is Gentoo
6 > infrastructure) that it does not break packages in the main tree that
7 > are not in the overlay.
8 >
9 > If this single policy were in place, then I would fully support
10 > overlays.gentoo.org being created.
11
12 How are you going to enforce that policy? Heh, you can't do that
13 preemptively even in the main tree. :) Every day there are bugs about
14 package A upgrade breaking packages B, C and D. I can also create an
15 overlay with two completely innocent ebuilds, get it opened and then
16 keep filing it w/ ricer food like patched-to-hell toolchain stuff?
17
18 How are you going to verify that ebuild X in overlay doesn't break
19 anything in the tree? And that its next revision won't do it. You
20 volunteer for such job? Great. Or not? Well, then there's no point in
21 suggesting a policy that can just never work...
22
23 So - what you are telling us is that you *assume* that people are going
24 to publish ebuilds *known* to break in-portage stuff on overlays.g.o.?
25 Weird assumption really... :/
29 Best regards,
30
31 Jakub Moc
32 mailto:jakub@g.o
33 GPG signature:
34 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
35 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
36
37 ... still no signature ;)