From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:02:21
1 On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 12:46 +0100, Andres Loeh wrote:
2 > > If the overlay's changelog is included on o.g.o's front-page, and the
3 > > wiki / GuideXML site is publically readable, but we just disallow
4 > > anonymous access to the overlay itself (only if requested, this
5 > > wouldn't be the default setup) ... how would that work for you?
6 >
7 > It would work, of course, and it would help prevent certain complaints,
8 > but it's not absolutely necessary. If "on request" is chosen, it's also
9 > important that read access can be given by us without any delay, i.e.,
10 > without going through any formal process.
11
12 See, I have no problem with this. The operation of the overlay *should*
13 lie completely with the overlay owners. You *should* be able to add
14 *anyone* that you feel is worth adding to read *or* write access, with
15 no further process.
16
17 As I've said, my only request is a single policy that before an overlay
18 can become publicly readable on overlays.gentoo.org (which is Gentoo
19 infrastructure) that it does not break packages in the main tree that
20 are not in the overlay.
21
22 If this single policy were in place, then I would fully support
23 overlays.gentoo.org being created.
24
25 My main point is I don't want one of my tree packages to break because
26 some ricer told some n00b to use some crazy ebuild from some random
27 overlay that isn't really fit for the general masses. If we take at
28 least *some* measures to prevent this, then I'm OK with it. Allowing a
29 free-for-all in the overlays is not acceptable.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
34 x86 Architecture Team
35 Games - Developer