From: Andres Loeh <kosmikus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:49:40
1 Hi Stuart.
2
3 > > dcoutts has described the current practice we use in the Haskell
4 > > team, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the only practice
5 > > that would work for us. I can imagine that if we can come up with
6 > > reasonable policies for o.g.o, we can switch to a slightly different
7 > > (i.e., more public) scheme ...
8 >
9 > I want to thank both you and Duncan for your explaination of how the
10 > Haskell overlay works. I would love to get your overlay onto
11 > overlays.g.o, without disrupting the working practices that you've
12 > found successful.
13 >
14 > Which means we need to take another look at the vision of all overlays
15 > being publically readable, because having a non-public overlay seems
16 > to be a key part of what you're already doing.
17
18 Not really. I discussed this with Duncan and we're perfectly ok with
19 a publically readable repo. In fact, our overlay is currently publically
20 readable. It's just not very well-known or advertised.
21
22 If we change the situation, we'll have to write up a few guidelines specific
23 to our repository.
24
25 Here's a list of things that I think are essential or highly helpful to
26 our working process:
27
28 * We should be allowed to continue using darcs for our version management.
29 If that's not possible on Gentoo infra, we should be allowed to host on
30 another machine and just have a pointer or ChangeLog on o.g.o.
31
32 * It should be possible for us to assign commit permissions to any people
33 we think are qualified without any formalities and delay.
34
35 > If the overlay's changelog is included on o.g.o's front-page, and the
36 > wiki / GuideXML site is publically readable, but we just disallow
37 > anonymous access to the overlay itself (only if requested, this
38 > wouldn't be the default setup) ... how would that work for you?
39
40 It would work, of course, and it would help prevent certain complaints,
41 but it's not absolutely necessary. If "on request" is chosen, it's also
42 important that read access can be given by us without any delay, i.e.,
43 without going through any formal process.
44
45 Cheers,
46 Andres