From: Andres Loeh <kosmikus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:48:57
1 > > > If the overlay's changelog is included on o.g.o's front-page, and the
2 > > > wiki / GuideXML site is publically readable, but we just disallow
3 > > > anonymous access to the overlay itself (only if requested, this
4 > > > wouldn't be the default setup) ... how would that work for you?
5 > >
6 > > It would work, of course, and it would help prevent certain complaints,
7 > > but it's not absolutely necessary. If "on request" is chosen, it's also
8 > > important that read access can be given by us without any delay, i.e.,
9 > > without going through any formal process.
10 >
11 > See, I have no problem with this. The operation of the overlay *should*
12 > lie completely with the overlay owners. You *should* be able to add
13 > *anyone* that you feel is worth adding to read *or* write access, with
14 > no further process.
15
16 Ok.
17
18 > As I've said, my only request is a single policy that before an overlay
19 > can become publicly readable on overlays.gentoo.org (which is Gentoo
20 > infrastructure) that it does not break packages in the main tree that
21 > are not in the overlay.
22 >
23 > If this single policy were in place, then I would fully support
24 > overlays.gentoo.org being created.
25
26 I see your point. Then I'd suggest to have o.g.o host two classes of
27 overlays: (A) publically readable ones that fulfill basic policies and don't
28 break the main tree, and (B) others where read and write access can be
29 granted on request by the overlay owners, but isn't available automatically.
30
31 Every overlay would belong to class B at first -- in fact, o.g.o could go
32 online only supporting B. We can take our time and work out goog guidelines
33 for class A repos, and then gradually change some of the overlays to class
34 A status.
35
36 > My main point is I don't want one of my tree packages to break because
37 > some ricer told some n00b to use some crazy ebuild from some random
38 > overlay that isn't really fit for the general masses. If we take at
39 > least *some* measures to prevent this, then I'm OK with it. Allowing a
40 > free-for-all in the overlays is not acceptable.
41
42 Yes, as I said, I understand that.
43
44 Cheers,