From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:21:51
1 Hi Chris,
2
3 On 3/24/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 > As I've said, my only request is a single policy that before an overlay
5 > can become publicly readable on overlays.gentoo.org (which is Gentoo
6 > infrastructure) that it does not break packages in the main tree that
7 > are not in the overlay.
8 >
9 > If this single policy were in place, then I would fully support
10 > overlays.gentoo.org being created.
11
12 I accept the principle. I've just one question about the practice.
13
14 Overlays will (probably more often than not) contain packages that
15 have problems. For example, I'm thinking of when we developed the new
16 PHP packages, the packages delivered PHP in a new way, with different
17 USE flags. We deliberately added a blocker, so that dev-lang/php and
18 dev-php/php (the version from the tree) couldn't be installed at the
19 same time. This meant that, until the webapps had their DEPs updated,
20 if you had PHP from the overlay installed, it would block webapps from
21 the tree from installing (because they depended on dev-php/php).
22
23 Do you consider a practice like that to violate the policy you seek?
24
25 Best regards,
26 Stu
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list