From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:17:17
1 On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:33:01PM +0000, in <D16B1A62-57DF-11D8-80B7-000A95795F3E@××××××××××××××××××.uk>, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Feb 5, 2004, at 8:13 am, Drake Wyrm wrote:
4 >
5 > >>The Installation documentation could be changed to say "copy & edit
6 > >>your fstab like so: cp /etc/fstab.example /etc/fstab && nano -w
7 > >>/etc/fstab`" and users would have the benefit of a back-up of the
8 > >>original should they ever b0rk theirs up.
9 > >
10 > >I have to disagree completely. This is exactly why we use
11 > >CONFIG_PROTECT
12 > >and etc-update. Packages *should* install a default, but it shouldn't
13 > >be called <config-file>.example. Documentation, such as a config file
14 > >example, belongs in /usr/share/doc/<package>.
15 >
16 > Hmmmn... I guess this is a matter of personal taste. I find a .example
17 > file right next to the one I'm editing SO useful.
18
19 Heh. Yeah, I s'pose that is up to personal taste. I was probably having
20 a human-nature check. "I don't like it, ergo it's wrong." Or something
21 like that. Plus, the FHS says that examples don't belong there either,
22 so I have "...and somebody agrees with me!" to fluff my ego.
23
24 > When updates to /etc/fstabare required, I feel there's a good case for
25 > "yelling at the user" using ewarn.
26
27 I've yet to find those helpful. They scroll by too quickly, especially
28 when I have a dozen or so other terms open with other projects. And, of
29 course, I couldn't be bothered to read the logs.
30
31 I wouldn't be opposed to a more intelligent automerge; as long as I
32 still have eu_automerge="no" in my etc-update.conf, I'm happy. Might
33 be an interesting project to add some functions to smoothly merge files
34 like fstab.
37 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
38 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
39 --Ghost in the Shell