From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:33:09
1 On Feb 5, 2004, at 8:13 am, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2
3 >> The Installation documentation could be changed to say "copy & edit
4 >> your fstab like so: cp /etc/fstab.example /etc/fstab && nano -w
5 >> /etc/fstab`" and users would have the benefit of a back-up of the
6 >> original should they ever b0rk theirs up.
7 >
8 > I have to disagree completely. This is exactly why we use
9 > CONFIG_PROTECT
10 > and etc-update. Packages *should* install a default, but it shouldn't
11 > be called <config-file>.example. Documentation, such as a config file
12 > example, belongs in /usr/share/doc/<package>.
13
14 Hmmmn... I guess this is a matter of personal taste. I find a .example
15 file right next to the one I'm editing SO useful.
16
17 > When you re-emerge
18 > something, it should try to install everything it needs. If the
19 > destination file is in a CONFIG_PROTECT directory, Portage does exactly
20 > what you described (with a .cfg-XXXXX- prefix rather than an .example
21 > suffix).
22
23 As a rule, I agree with you. I haven't yet <touches wood> b0rked up an
24 etc-update myself, and I feel it's rather a case of user ignorance &
25 carelessness when it does happen. But as Paul says, /etc/fstab can make
26 your system unbootable, and so I feel that it's the exception that
27 proves the rule.
28
29 When updates to /etc/fstabare required, I feel there's a good case for
30 "yelling at the user" using ewarn.
31
32 Stroller.
36 PS: Incidentally, I believe that Grub has a simple text-file editor, so
37 it should be possible to edit /etc/fstab using this. I found it too
38 obscure & confusing when I tried this, and ended up booting from CD,
39 but has anyone else tried this..? In the past I've installed Gentoo on
40 a Sony Vaio C1 which won't boot from CD, so a HOWTO for this would be
41 great.
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list