From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:06:35
1 On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:09:38PM +0000, in <70F15952-5756-11D8-80B7-000A95795F3E@××××××××××××××××××.uk>, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Feb 4, 2004, at 8:10 pm, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > I recall a while back there were some changes that were necessary to be
4 > merged into fstab; in fact mine contains the following 3 lines:
5 > # added by baselayout-1.8.6.8-r1 - 5/7/2003
6 > # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
7 > none /proc proc defaults
8 > 0 0
9 >
10 > But aside from that, fstab and some other systems files never change; I
11 > always think these should be distributed as /etc/fstab.example and so
12 > on. The Installation documentation could be changed to say "copy & edit
13 > your fstab like so: cp /etc/fstab.example /etc/fstab && nano -w
14 > /etc/fstab`" and users would have the benefit of a back-up of the
15 > original should they ever b0rk theirs up.
16
17 I have to disagree completely. This is exactly why we use CONFIG_PROTECT
18 and etc-update. Packages *should* install a default, but it shouldn't
19 be called <config-file>.example. Documentation, such as a config file
20 example, belongs in /usr/share/doc/<package>. When you re-emerge
21 something, it should try to install everything it needs. If the
22 destination file is in a CONFIG_PROTECT directory, Portage does exactly
23 what you described (with a .cfg-XXXXX- prefix rather than an .example
24 suffix).
25
26 With regard to default config files: look at </etc/mutt/Muttrc>. Emerge
27 net-mail/mutt, if you must. Beautiful example of the Right Way(tm)
28 to write a default.
29
30 With regard to backups: yes, do backups. They come in handy, should you
31 ever b0rk up.
34 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
35 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
36 --Ghost in the Shell